Saturday 23 January 2010

Bit of work Done

We managed to get down to Sarah G today and had a nice but cold day doing things.

The biggest bit was to get a length of multiplait rope spliced onto the end of the anchor chain. The process is actually quite easy but of course I managed to make a small mistake that contrived to treble the amount of work involved.

I had picked up a bargain from ebay and had 50M of 14mm multiplait rope. A good little extra was that it had an eye with thimble spliced into one end.

Anyway, I pulled all the chain out of the locker and fed it over the bow roller. I then unrolled the rope from the drum it came on and managed to make sense of the instructions I had downloaded for the rope to chain splice. It was quite easy and I was feeling quite pleased with myself. The next step was, of course, to restow the much longer anchor line in the locker. I passed the eye end of the rope onto the foredeck and climbed aboard. Now, you will be able to work out my stupid bit! The eye was never going to fit down through the tube which the chain comes up. We therefore went through a great complicated rigmarole of feeding all the rope and chain into the cockpit and then through the cabin and into the locker. Finally, I dropped a rope down the chain pipe and Audrey tied it to the end of the chain and pulled it up. Now all I had to do was feed all the rope and chain back down to the ground again prior to stowing it properly in the locker.

We do at last have 90M of anchor warp and I have also had the option to inspect the chain link by link twice!

Anyway, here is a rather gray picture of how she is looking at the moment.

No comments: