Monday 26 April 2010

Good to go

With rather a lot of despondency and in the immortal style of John Major, not a little trepidation, I called a recommended engine guy at Thornham Marine to have a look at our beleagured Bukh engine. I had all sorts of horrible visions of gunk completely clogging up the high pressure pump and such like with irreparably damaged injectors. He said he would make a quick visit, probably on Tuesday (tomorrow as I write). This afternoon he called me to say that it was running fine and was suffering from lack of compression owing to no oil being on the cylinders against which the piston rings can form a seal. Apparently, the trick is to spray a good few squirts of oil into each cylinder at layup time while you have the air filter off.

I am definitely going to do a diesel engine maintenance course next winter! Anyway, that means we are now good to go for the weekend and can finally get sailing. Hooraah!!

No comments: