Wednesday 12 October 2011

Found the Place to get a Stronger WIFI here

The signal is impossibly weak on the boat but when I walk all round the marina to the office it works like a dream. Today, was spent in Gibraltar - after tying up here at Marina Alcaidesa in La Linea. The woman in the office was extremely helpful and seemed astounded that I was able to stutter a few words of Spanish. As noted previously, crossing into Gibraltar is a surreal experience. Still, after a quick investigation of Marina Bay for chandleries, I took myself to the cable car and rode it to the top of the rock. This was certainly the best thing to do as you leave the city behind and are treated to spectacular views of both the Ensenada de Algeciras and the Mediterranean to the east. I also found that you can walk down which was a great if rather hot experience. On the way, I visited the old gun batteries and was underwhelmed with the fact that they were able to fire around 29000 yards while North Africa was 25000 odd yards away. Then, I walked out to Europa point but a fog had descended on the straits and Africa was hidden from view. There was also rather a strong smell of drains and, sure enough, the evidence was there and Europa Point seems to be a sewage outfall! Anyway, here are some reflections of arriving yesterday.

No comments: